1. The psalm of David before he was anointed. The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? The Lord is the protector of my life: of whom shall I be afraid?
2. Whilst the wicked draw near against me, to eat my flesh. My enemies that trouble me, have themselves been weakened, and have fallen.
3. If armies in camp should stand together against me, my heart shall not fear. If a battle should rise up against me, in this will I be confident.
4. One thing I have asked of the Lord, this will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life. That I may see the delight of the Lord, and may visit his temple.
5. For he hath hidden me in his tabernacle; in the day of evils, he hath protected me in the secret place of his tabernacle.
6. He hath exalted me upon a rock: and now he hath lifted up my head above my enemies. I have gone round, and have offered up in his tabernacle a sacrifice of jubilation: I will sing, and recite a psalm to the Lord.
7. Hear, O Lord, my voice, with which I have cried to thee: have mercy on me and hear me.
8. My heart hath said to thee: My face hath sought thee: thy face, O Lord, will I still seek.
9. Turn not away thy face from me; decline not in thy wrath from thy servant. Be thou my helper, forsake me not; do not thou despise me, O God my Saviour.
10. For my father and my mother have left me: but the Lord hath taken me up.
11. Set me, O Lord, a law in thy way, and guide me in the right path, because of my enemies.
12. Deliver me not over to the will of them that trouble me; for unjust witnesses have risen up against me; and iniquity hath lied to itself.
13. I believe to see the good things of the Lord in the land of the living.
14. Expect the Lord, do manfully, and let thy heart take courage, and wait thou for the Lord.