1. Why do the nations conspire? Why do the peoples plot in vain?
2. The kings of the earth brace themselves and the rulers together take their stand against the Lord and his anointed.
3. They say, "Let us break their bonds! Let us cast away their chains!"
4. The One enthroned in heaven laughs; the Lord looks at them in derision.
5. Then in anger he speaks to them, terrifying them in the fury of his wrath:
6. "Behold the king I have installed, in Zion, upon my holy hill!"
7. I will proclaim the decree of the Lord. He said to me: "You are my son. This day I have begotten you.
8. Ask of me and I will give you the nations for your inheritance, the ends of the earth for your possession.
9. You shall rule them with iron scepter and shatter them as a potter's vase."
10. Now therefore, learn wisdom, O kings; be warned, O rulers of the earth.
11. Serve the Lord with fear and fall at his feet; lest he be angry and you perish when his anger suddenly flares. Blessed are all who take refuge in him!