1. Why do the nations protest and the peoples grumble in vain?
2. Kings on earth rise up and princes plot together against the LORD and his anointed:
3. "Let us break their shackles and cast off their chains!"
4. The one enthroned in heaven laughs; the Lord derides them,
5. Then speaks to them in anger, terrifies them in wrath:
6. "I myself have installed my king on Zion, my holy mountain."
7. I will proclaim the decree of the LORD, who said to me, "You are my son; today I am your father.
8. Only ask it of me, and I will make your inheritance the nations, your possession the ends of the earth.
9. With an iron rod you shall shepherd them, like a clay pot you will shatter them."
10. And now, kings, give heed; take warning, rulers on earth.
11. Serve the LORD with fear; with trembling bow down in homage, Lest God be angry and you perish from the way in a sudden blaze of anger. Happy are all who take refuge in God!