1. Why have the Gentiles been seething, and why have the people been pondering nonsense?
2. The kings of the earth have stood up, and the leaders have joined together as one, against the Lord and against his Christ:
3. “Let us shatter their chains and cast their yoke away from us.”
4. He who dwells in heaven will ridicule them, and the Lord will mock them.
5. Then will he speak to them in his anger and trouble them with his fury.
6. Yet I have been appointed king by him over Zion, his holy mountain, preaching his precepts.
7. The Lord has said to me: You are my son, this day have I begotten you.
8. Ask of me and I will give to you: the Gentiles for your inheritance, and the ends of the earth for your possession.
9. You will rule them with an iron rod, and you will shatter them like a potter’s vessel.
10. And now, O kings, understand. Receive instruction, you who judge the earth.
11. Serve the Lord in fear, and exult in him with trembling.
12. Embrace discipline, lest at any time the Lord might become angry, and you would perish from the way of the just.
13. Though his wrath can flare up in a short time, blessed are all those who trust in him.