0. To the choirmaster: according to The Gittith. A Psalm of Asaph.
1. Sing aloud to God our strength; shout for joy to the God of Jacob!
2. Raise a song, sound the timbrel, the sweet lyre with the harp.
3. Blow the trumpet at the new moon, at the full moon, on our feast day.
4. For it is a statute for Israel, an ordinance of the God of Jacob.
5. He made it a decree in Joseph, when he went out over the land of Egypt. I hear a voice I had not known:
6. "I relieved your shoulder of the burden; your hands were freed from the basket.
7. In distress you called, and I delivered you; I answered you in the secret place of thunder; I tested you at the waters of Mer'ibah. [Selah]
8. Hear, O my people, while I admonish you! O Israel, if you would but listen to me!
9. There shall be no strange god among you; you shall not bow down to a foreign god.
10. I am the LORD your God, who brought you up out of the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it.
11. "But my people did not listen to my voice; Israel would have none of me.
12. So I gave them over to their stubborn hearts, to follow their own counsels.
13. O that my people would listen to me, that Israel would walk in my ways!
14. I would soon subdue their enemies, and turn my hand against their foes.
15. Those who hate the LORD would cringe toward him, and their fate would last for ever.
16. I would feed you with the finest of the wheat, and with honey from the rock I would satisfy you."