1. A maskil of David, when he was in the cave. A prayer.
2. With full voice I cry to the LORD; with full voice I beseech the LORD.
3. Before God I pour out my complaint, lay bare my distress.
4. My spirit is faint within me, but you know my path. Along the way I walk they have hidden a trap for me.
5. I look to my right hand, but no friend is there. There is no escape for me; no one cares for me.
6. I cry out to you, LORD, I say, You are my refuge, my portion in the land of the living.
7. Listen to my cry for help, for I am brought very low. Rescue me from my pursuers, for they are too strong for me.
8. Lead me out of my prison, that I may give thanks to your name. Then the just shall gather around me because you have been good to me.