1. A psalm of David. For remembrance.
2. LORD, punish me no more in your anger; in your wrath do not chastise me!
3. Your arrows have sunk deep in me; your hand has come down upon me.
4. My flesh is afflicted because of your anger; my frame aches because of my sin.
5. My iniquities overwhelm me, a burden beyond my strength.
6. Foul and festering are my sores because of my folly.
7. I am stooped and deeply bowed; all day I go about mourning.
8. My loins burn with fever; my flesh is afflicted.
9. I am numb and utterly crushed; I wail with anguish of heart.
10. My Lord, my deepest yearning is before you; my groaning is not hidden from you.
11. My heart shudders, my strength forsakes me; the very light of my eyes has failed.
12. Friends and companions shun my pain; my neighbors stand far off.
13. Those who seek my life lay snares for me; they seek my misfortune, they speak of ruin; they plot treachery all the day.
14. But I am like the deaf, hearing nothing, like the dumb, saying nothing,
15. Like someone who does not hear, who has no answer ready.
16. LORD, I wait for you; O Lord, my God, answer me.
17. For I fear they will gloat, exult over me if I stumble.
18. I am very near to falling; my pain is with me always.
19. I acknowledge my guilt and grieve over my sin.
20. But many are my foes without cause, a multitude of enemies without reason,
21. Repaying me evil for good, harassing me for pursuing good.
22. Forsake me not, O LORD; my God, be not far from me!
23. Come quickly to help me, my Lord and my salvation!