1. For the leader; according to "The Lily of...." A miktam of David (for teaching),
2. when he fought against Aram-Naharaim and Aram-Zobah; and Joab, coming back, killed twelve thousand Edomites in the Valley of Salt.
3. O God, you rejected us, broke our defenses; you were angry but now revive us.
4. You rocked the earth, split it open; repair the cracks for it totters.
5. You made your people go through hardship, made us stagger from the wine you gave us.
6. Raise up a flag for those who revere you, a refuge for them out of bow shot. Selah
7. Help with your right hand and answer us that your loved ones may escape.
8. In the sanctuary God promised: "I will exult, will apportion Shechem; the valley of Succoth I will measure out.
9. Gilead is mine, mine is Manasseh; Ephraim is the helmet for my head, Judah, my own scepter.
10. Moab is my washbowl; upon Edom I cast my sandal. I will triumph over Philistia."
11. Who will bring me to the fortified city? Who will lead me into Edom?
12. Was it not you who rejected us, God? Do you no longer march with our armies?
13. Give us aid against the foe; worthless is human help.
14. We will triumph with the help of God, who will trample down our foes.