1. For the leader. A psalm of the Korahites.
2. Hear this, all you peoples! Give ear, all who inhabit the world,
3. You of lowly birth or high estate, rich and poor alike.
4. My mouth shall speak wisdom, my heart shall offer insight.
5. I will turn my attention to a problem, expound my question to the music of a lyre.
6. Why should I fear in evil days, when my wicked pursuers ring me round,
7. Those who trust in their wealth and boast of their abundant riches?
8. One cannot redeem oneself, pay to God a ransom.
9. Too high the price to redeem a life; one would never have enough
10. To stay alive forever and never see the pit.
11. Anyone can see that the wisest die, the fool and the senseless pass away too, and must leave their wealth to others.
12. Tombs are their homes forever, their dwellings through all generations, though they gave their names to their lands.
13. For all their riches mortals do not abide; they perish like the beasts.
14. This is the destiny of those who trust in folly, the end of those so pleased with their wealth. Selah
15. Like sheep they are herded into Sheol, where death will be their shepherd. Straight to the grave they descend, where their form will waste away, Sheol will be their palace.
16. But God will redeem my life, will take me from the power of Sheol. Selah
17. Do not fear when others become rich, when the wealth of their houses grows great.
18. When they die they will take nothing with them, their wealth will not follow them down.
19. When living, they congratulate themselves and say: "All praise you, you do so well."
20. But they will join the company of their forebears, never again to see the light.
21. For all their riches, if mortals do not have wisdom, they perish like the beasts.