1. A Canticle in steps. They have often fought against me from my youth, let Israel now say:
2. they have often fought against me from my youth, yet they could not prevail over me.
3. The sinners have made fabrications behind my back. They have prolonged their iniquity.
4. The just Lord will cut the necks of sinners.
5. Let all those who hate Zion be confounded and turned backwards.
6. Let them be like grass on the rooftops, which withers before it can be pulled up:
7. with it, he who reaps does not fill his hand and he who gathers sheaves does not fill his bosom.
8. And those who were passing by have not said to them: “The blessing of the Lord be upon you. We have blessed you in the name of the Lord.”