1. [For the choirmaster To the tune 'The decree is a lily' In a quiet voice Of David To be learnt When he was at war with Aram-Naharaim and Aram-Zobah, and Joab marched back to destroy twelve thousand Edomites in the Valley of Salt] God, you have rejected us, broken us, you were angry, come back to us!
2. You made the earth tremble, split it open; now mend the rifts, it is tottering still.
3. You have forced your people to drink a bitter draught, forced us to drink a wine that made us reel.
4. You gave a signal to those who fear you to let them escape out of range of the bow.Pause
5. To rescue those you love, save with your right hand and answer us.
6. God has spoken from his sanctuary, 'In triumph I will divide up Shechem, and share out the Valley of Succoth.
7. 'Mine is Gilead, mine Manasseh, Ephraim the helmet on my head, Judah my commander's baton,
8. 'Moab a bowl for me to wash in, on Edom I plant my sandal. Now try shouting "Victory!" over me, Philistia!'
9. Who will lead me against a fortified city, who will guide me into Edom,
10. if not you, the God who has rejected us? God, you no longer march with our armies.
11. Bring us help in our time of crisis, any human help is worthless.
12. With God we shall do deeds of valour, he will trample down our enemies.