1. A song of ascents. Of Solomon. Unless the LORD build the house, they labor in vain who build. Unless the LORD guard the city, in vain does the guard keep watch.
2. It is vain for you to rise early and put off your rest at night, To eat bread earned by hard toil-- all this God gives to his beloved in sleep.
3. Children too are a gift from the LORD, the fruit of the womb, a reward.
4. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children born in one's youth.
5. Blessed are they whose quivers are full. They will never be shamed contending with foes at the gate.