1. From the stump of Jesse a shoot will come forth; from his roots a branch will grow and bear fruit.
2. The Spirit of the Lord will rest upon him - a Spirit of wisdom and understanding, a Spirit of counsel and power, a Spirit of knowledge and fear of the Lord.
3. Not by appearances will he judge, nor by what is said must he decide,
4. but with justice he will judge the poor and with righteousness decide for the meek. Like a rod, his word will strike the oppressor, and the breath of his lips slay the wicked.
5. Justice will be the girdle of his waist, truth the girdle of his loins.
6. The wolf will dwell with the lamb, the leopard will rest beside the kid, the calf and the lion cub will feed together and a little child will lead them.
7. Befriending each other, the cow and the bear will see their young ones lie down together. Like cattle, the lion will eat hay.
8. By the cobra's den the infant will play. The child will put his hand into the viper's lair.
9. No one will harm or destroy over my holy mountain, for as water fills the sea the earth will be filled with the knowledge of the Lord.
10. On that day the "Root of Jesse" will be raised as a signal for the nations. The people will come in search of him, thus making his dwelling place glorious.
11. On that day Yahweh will again raise his hand to reclaim the remnant of his people from Assyria; from Egypt, Pathros and Ethiopia; from Elam, Shinar, Hamath and from the coastlands of the sea.
12. He will set up a signal that can be seen from all the countries and assemble the exiles of Israel; he will gather the scattered people of Judah from all the corners of the earth.
13. Then Ephraim will cast off its jealousy and Judah will be rid of its enemies. Ephraim will not envy Judah nor Judah be hostile to Ephraim.
14. But the two will sweep down together upon the shoulder of Philistia to the west and plunder the nations to the east. They will lay their hands upon Edom and Moab and make the Ammonites their subjects.
15. Yahweh will dry up the tongue of the Egyptian sea; he will sweep his hand over the Euphrates in scorching fury, and break it into seven streams that men can cross dry-shod.
16. Then there will be a highway for the remnant of his people coming back from Assyria, as there was when Israel came out of Egypt.