1. The people who walk in darkness have seen a great light. A light has dawned on those who live in the land of the shadow of death.
2. You have enlarged the nation; you have increased their joy. They rejoice before you, as people rejoice at harvest time as they rejoice in dividing the spoil.
3. For the yoke of their burden, the bar across their shoulders, the rod of their oppressors, you have broken it as on the day of Midian.
4. Every warrior's boot that tramped in war, every cloak rolled in blood, will be thrown out for burning, will serve as fuel for the fire.
5. For a child is born to us, a son is given us; the royal ornament is laid upon his shoulder, and his name is proclaimed: "Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."
6. To the increase of his powerful rule in peace, there will be no end. Vast will be his dominion, he will reign on David's throne and over all his kingdom, to establish and uphold it with justice and righteousness from this time onward and forever. The zealous love of Yahweh Sabaoth will do this.
7. The Lord has sent a word against Jacob: the sentence fell upon Israel.
8. The people of Samaria and Ephraim saw it, but they said in pride and arrogance of heart:
9. "The bricks have fallen down, but we will rebuild with hewn stones; the sycamores have been cut down, but in their place we will plant cedars."
10. Therefore Yahweh raises foes against them and stirs up their adversaries:
11. from the east, Arameans, from the west, Philistines - with open mouth they devour Israel. Yet for all this his anger does not subside, his hand is poised to strike.
12. For the people have not come back to him who has smitten them; they have not sought Yahweh Sabaoth.
13. Therefore Yahweh has cut off from Israel both head and tail, palm branch and reed in a single day.
14. The elders and prominent men are the head, the tail is the prophet of lies.
15. The guides of these people mislead them, the leaders have lost their way.
16. The Lord, therefore, does not spare their young men nor have compassion on their orphans and widows. For everyone has become evil and ungodly; every mouth speaks folly. Yet for all this his anger does not subside, his hand is poised to strike.
17. Their wickedness has become like a fire which consumes both thorn and brier; it rages, sets thickets ablaze, and all of them vanish like smoke.
18. By the wrath of Yahweh Sabaoth the land is set aflame, and the people are burned like fuel for fire because no one spares his brother.
19. Snatching left and right, they still go hungry and they remain unfilled: each one devours his neighbor's flesh.
20. Manasseh devours Ephraim, Ephraim devours Manasseh; and against Judah together they march. Yet for all this his anger does not subside, his hand is poised to strike.