1. A shoot will spring from the stock of Jesse, a new shoot will grow from his roots.
2. On him will rest the spirit of Yahweh, the spirit of wisdom and insight, the spirit of counsel and power, the spirit of knowledge and fear of Yahweh:
3. his inspiration will lie in fearing Yahweh. His judgement will not be by appearances. his verdict not given on hearsay.
4. He will judge the weak with integrity and give fair sentence for the humblest in the land. He will strike the country with the rod of his mouth and with the breath of his lips bring death to the wicked.
5. Uprightness will be the belt around his waist, and constancy the belt about his hips.
6. The wolf will live with the lamb, the panther lie down with the kid, calf, lion and fat-stock beast together, with a little boy to lead them.
7. The cow and the bear will graze, their young will lie down together. The lion will eat hay like the ox.
8. The infant will play over the den of the adder; the baby will put his hand into the viper's lair.
9. No hurt, no harm will be done on all my holy mountain, for the country will be full of knowledge of Yahweh as the waters cover the sea.
10. That day, the root of Jesse, standing as a signal for the peoples, will be sought out by the nations and its home will be glorious.
11. When that day comes, the Lord will raise his hand a second time to ransom the remnant of his people, those still left, from Assyria, from Egypt, from Pathros, Cush and Elam, from Shinar, Hamath and the islands of the Sea.
12. He will hoist a signal for the nations and assemble the outcasts of Israel; he will gather the scattered people of Judah from the four corners of the earth.
13. Then Ephraim's jealousy will cease and Judah's enemies be suppressed; Ephraim will no longer be jealous of Judah nor Judah any longer hostile to Ephraim,
14. but together they will swoop on the Philistines' back, to the west, and together pillage the people of the east. Edom and Moab will be subject to their sway and the Ammonites will obey them.
15. Then Yahweh will dry up the gulf of the Sea of Egypt, he will raise his hand against the River with the heat of his breath. He will divide it into seven streams for them to cross dry-shod.
16. And there will be a highway for the remnant of his people for those still left, from Assyria, as there was for Israel when he came out of Egypt.