1. See how the Lord, Yahweh Sabaoth, takes away provisions and supplies from Judah and Jerusalem -
2. the hero and the soldier, the judge and the prophet, the diviner and the elder,
3. the captain and the man of rank, the counselor, the wise man, the craftsman, and the enchanter.
4. I will make striplings their princes and raw lads their rulers.
5. People will oppress each other - every neighbor his neighbor; the young will bully the old and the base will insult the honorable.
6. When that day comes, a man will take hold of his brother in the house of his father and say, "You have clothes, so be our leader and rule over this heap of ruins."
7. But he will cry out in protest: "I cannot undertake to remedy all this, when in my own house there is neither food nor clothing; do not make me leader of the people."
8. See how Jerusalem crumbles and Judah falls, for in word and deed they have defied the Lord, and insulted his glorious presence.
9. The look on their faces denounces them: they do not hide their sin; instead, they parade it, like Sodom: Woe to them! They bring about their own downfall!
10. Say, "Fortunate are the righteous, they will eat of the fruit of their deeds."
11. But woe to the wicked: the evil that their hands have done shall be done to them!
12. O my people, plundered by your rulers, enslaved by your creditors! O my people, your leaders deceive you and lead you astray.
13. Yahweh takes his place in court and stands to try his people.
14. Yahweh calls to judgment the elders and the princes: "You have devoured my vineyard. The spoil of the poor is in your houses.
15. What right have you to crush the people and to grind down the poor?" declares Yahweh Sabaoth.
16. Yahweh says, "Haughty are the women of Zion, walking with their heads held high, with mincing steps, flirting with their eyes, ornaments tinkling on their ankles."
17. But Yahweh will cover with scabs the heads of Zion's women and make their scalps bald.
18. On that day the Lord will take away the ankle ornaments, the headbands and the crescents,
19. the pendants, the bracelets, and the scarves,
20. the headdresses, the armlets, the sashes, the perfume bottles and the amulets,
21. the signet rings and nose rings,
22. the festal robes, the mantles, the cloaks, and the handbags,
23. the garments, the turbans, and the veils.
24. Instead of fragrance, there will be stench; instead of girdle, rope; instead of well-set hair, baldness; instead of jeweled gown, sackcloth; and instead of beauty, shame.
25. Your men will fall by the sword; your heroes, in battle.
26. The city gates will lament and mourn as Zion, ravaged, sits on the ground.