1. Woe to those who go down to Egypt for help, who pin their hopes on cavalry, putting their trust in chariots because they are many, relying on horsemen because they are strong. Why did they not look to the Holy One of Israel or consult Yahweh?
2. And yet he is very wise, and from him disaster will come. He does not go back on his word; he will rise against the evildoers, and cut off the help the wicked waited for.
3. The Egyptians are men, not God; their horses are flesh, not spirit. When Yahweh stretches forth his hand, the helper and the one he helped will fall and perish together.
4. For thus the Lord has spoken: Just as a lion or a lion cub growls over its prey and is neither frightened nor disturbed by the shouts of the shepherd, so will Yahweh Sabaoth descend to fight on Mount Zion.
5. Like birds that hover, so will Yahweh Sabaoth shield Jerusalem: he will protect and deliver, rescue and save.
6. Return, O children of Israel, to him you have so wickedly betrayed.
7. On that day each one of you will throw away the idols of silver and gold that his sinful hands have made.
8. Assyria will fall by a sword not wielded by a man. They will be devoured by a sword not held by a mortal. They will flee before the sword, their young men will be captured and put to forced labor.
9. They will desert their post and the officers, in terror, will abandon the standard." It is Yahweh who speaks, whose fire is in Zion and whose furnace is in Jerusalem.