1. Whoever fears the Lord will act like this, and whoever grasps the Law will obtain wisdom.
2. She will come to meet him like a mother, and receive him like a virgin bride.
3. She will give him the bread of understanding to eat, and the water of wisdom to drink.
4. He will lean on her and will not fall, he will rely on her and not be put to shame.
5. She will raise him high above his neighbours, and in full assembly she will open his mouth.
6. He will find happiness and a crown of joy, he will inherit an everlasting name.
7. Fools will not gain possession of her, nor will sinners set eyes on her.
8. She stands remote from pride, and liars cannot call her to mind.
9. Praise is unseemly in a sinner's mouth, since it has not been put there by the Lord.
10. For praise should be uttered only in wisdom, and the Lord himself then prompts it.
11. Do not say, 'The Lord was responsible for my sinning,' for he does not do what he hates.
12. Do not say, 'It was he who led me astray,' for he has no use for a sinner.
13. The Lord hates all that is foul, and no one who fears him will love it either.
14. He himself made human beings in the beginning, and then left them free to make their own decisions.
15. If you choose, you will keep the commandments and so be faithful to his will.
16. He has set fire and water before you; put out your hand to whichever you prefer.
17. A human being has life and death before him; whichever he prefers will be given him.
18. For vast is the wisdom of the Lord; he is almighty and all-seeing.
19. His eyes are on those who fear him, he notes every human action.
20. He never commanded anyone to be godless, he has given no one permission to sin.