1. If you mean to do a kindness, choose the right person, then your good deeds will not be wasted.
2. Do good to someone devout, and you will be rewarded, if not by that person, then certainly by the Most High.
3. No good will come to one who persists in evil, or who refuses to give alms.
4. Give to the devout, do not go to the help of a sinner.
5. Do good to the humble, give nothing to the godless. Refuse him bread, do not give him any, it might make him stronger than you are; then you would be repaid evil twice over for all the good you had done him.
6. For the Most High himself detests sinners, and will repay the wicked with what they deserve.
7. Give to the good, and do not go to the help of a sinner.
8. In prosperity you cannot always tell a true friend, but in adversity you cannot mistake an enemy.
9. When someone is doing well that person's enemies are sad, when someone is doing badly, even a friend will keep at a distance.
10. Do not ever trust an enemy; as bronze tarnishes, so does an enemy's malice.
11. Even if he behaves humbly and comes bowing and scraping, maintain your reserve and be on your guard against him. Behave towards him as if you were polishing a mirror, you will find that his tarnish cannot last.
12. Do not stand him beside you in case he thrusts you out and takes your place. Do not seat him on your right, or he will be after your position, and then you will remember what I have said and sadly admit that I was right.
13. Who feels sorry for a snake-charmer bitten by a snake, or for those who take risks with savage animals? -
14. just so for one who consorts with a sinner, and becomes an accomplice in his sins.
15. He will stay with you for a while, but if you once give way he will press his advantage.
16. An enemy may have sweetness on his lips, and in his heart a scheme to throw you into the ditch. An enemy may have tears in his eyes, but if he gets a chance there can never be too much blood for him.
17. If you meet with misfortune, you will find him there before you, and, pretending to help you, he will trip you up.
18. He will wag his head and clap his hands, he will whisper a lot and his expression will change.