1. The memory of Josiah is like blended incense prepared by the perfumer's art; it is as sweet as honey to all mouths, and like music at a wine feast.
2. He took the right course, of converting the people, he rooted out the iniquitous abominations,
3. he set his heart on the Lord, in godless times he upheld the cause of religion.
4. Apart from David, Hezekiah and Josiah, they all heaped wrong on wrong, they abandoned the Law of the Most High: the kings of Judah disappeared;
5. for they handed their power over to others and their honour to a foreign nation.
6. The holy, chosen city was burnt down, her streets were left deserted,
7. as Jeremiah had predicted; for they had ill-treated him, though consecrated a prophet in his mother's womb, to tear up and afflict and destroy, but also to build up and to plant.
8. Ezekiel saw a vision of glory which God showed to him above the chariot of the great winged creatures,
9. for he mentioned the enemies in the downpour to the advantage of those who follow the right way.
10. As for the twelve prophets, may their bones flower again from the tomb, since they have comforted Jacob and redeemed him in faith and hope.
11. How shall we extol Zerubbabel? He was like a signet ring on the right hand,
12. so too was Joshua son of Jozadak; they who in their days built the Temple and raised a sanctuary sacred to the Lord, destined to everlasting glory.
13. Great too is the memory of Nehemiah, who rebuilt our walls which lay in ruins, erected the bolted gates and rebuilt our houses.
14. No one else has ever been created on earth to equal Enoch, for he was taken up from earth.
15. And no one else ever born has been like Joseph, the leader of his brothers, the prop of his people; his bones received a visitation.
16. Shem and Seth were the most honoured of men, but above every living creature is Adam.