1. Do no evil, and evil will not befall you;
2. shun wrong, and it will avoid you.
3. My child, do not sow in the furrows of wickedness, for fear you have to reap them seven times over.
4. Do not ask the Lord for the highest place, or the king for a seat of honour.
5. Do not parade your uprightness before the Lord, or your wisdom before the king.
6. Do not scheme to be appointed judge, for fear you should not be strong enough to stamp out injustice, for fear of being swayed by someone influential and so of risking the loss of your integrity.
7. Do not wrong the general body of citizens and so lower yourself in popular esteem.
8. Do not be drawn to sin twice over, for you will not go unpunished even once.
9. Do not say, 'God will be impressed by my numerous offerings; when I sacrifice to God Most High, he is bound to accept.'
10. Do not be hesitant in prayer; do not neglect to give alms.
11. Do not laugh at someone who is sad of heart, for he who brings low can lift up high.
12. Do not make up lies against your brother, nor against a friend either.
13. Mind you tell no lies, for no good can come of it.
14. Do not talk too much at the gathering of elders, and do not repeat yourself at your prayers.
15. Do not shirk tiring jobs or farm work, ordained by the Most High.
16. Do not swell the ranks of sinners, remember that the retribution will not delay.
17. Be very humble, since the recompense for the godless is fire and worms.
18. Do not barter a friend away for the sake of profit, nor a true brother for the gold of Ophir.
19. Do not turn against a wise and good wife; her gracious presence is worth more than gold.
20. Do not ill-treat a slave who is an honest worker, or a wage-earner who is devoted to you.
21. Love an intelligent slave with all your heart, and do not deny such a slave his freedom.
22. Have you cattle? Look after them; if they are making you a profit, keep them.
23. Have you children? Educate them, from childhood make them bow the neck.
24. Have you daughters? Take care of their bodies, but do not be over-indulgent.
25. Marry a daughter off, and you have finished a great work; but give her to a man of sense.
26. Have you a wife to your liking? Do not turn her out; but if you do not love her, never trust her.
27. With all your heart honour your father, never forget the birthpangs of your mother.
28. Remember that you owe your birth to them; how can you repay them for what they have done for you?
29. With all your soul, fear the Lord and revere his priests.
30. With all your might love him who made you, and do not abandon his ministers.
31. Fear the Lord and honour the priest and give him the portion enjoined on you: first-fruits, sacrifice of reparation, shoulder-gift, sanctification sacrifice, first-fruits of the holy things.
32. And also give generously to the poor, so that your blessing may lack nothing.
33. Let your generosity extend to all the living, do not withhold it even from the dead.
34. Do not turn your back on those who weep, but share the grief of the grief-stricken.
35. Do not shrink from visiting the sick; in this way you will make yourself loved.
36. In everything you do, remember your end, and you will never sin.