1. Yahweh provided a large fish which swallowed Jonah. He remained in the belly of the fish for three days and three nights.
2. From the belly of the fish Jonah prayed to Yahweh, his God:
3. "In my distress I cried to Yahweh, and he answered me; from the belly of the netherworld you heard my voice when I called.
4. You cast me into the abyss, into the very heart of the sea, and the currents swirled about me; all your breakers and your billows passed over engulfing me.
5. Then I thought: I have been cast out from your presence, but I keep on looking to your holy Temple.
6. The waters engulfed me up to my throat; all around me was the abyss; wrapped about my head were seaweeds.
7. I went down to the roots of the mountains, the bars of the netherworld closed upon me, but you brought my life up from the pit, Yahweh, my God.
8. When my soul was fainting within me, I remembered Yahweh, and before you rose my prayer up to your holy Temple.
9. Those who worship worthless idols lose your grace
10. but I, with songs of praise, will offer to you sacrifices. What I have vowed, I will make good - deliverance comes from Yahweh, my God."
11. Then Yahweh gave his command to the fish, and it belched out Jonah onto dry land.