1. And the Lord prepared a great fish to swallow Jonah. And Jonah was in the belly of the fish for three days and three nights.
2. And Jonah prayed to the Lord, his God, from the belly of the fish.
3. And he said: “I cried out to the Lord from my tribulation, and he heeded me. From the belly of hell, I cried out, and you heeded my voice.
4. And you have thrown me into the deep, in the heart of the sea, and a flood has encircled me. All your whirlpools and your waves have passed over me.
5. And I said: I am expelled from the sight of your eyes. Yet, truly, I will see your holy temple again.
6. The waters surrounded me, even to the soul. The abyss has walled me in. The ocean has covered my head.
7. I descended to the base of the mountains. The bars of the earth have enclosed me forever. And you will raise up my life from corruption, Lord, my God.
8. When my soul was in anguish within me, I called to mind the Lord, so that my prayer might come to you, to your holy temple.
9. Those who in vain observe vanities, abandon their own mercy.
10. But I, with a voice of praise, will sacrifice to you. I will repay whatever I have vowed to the Lord, because of my salvation.”
11. And the Lord spoke to the fish, and it vomited Jonah onto dry land.