1. But the LORD sent a large fish, that swallowed Jonah; and he remained in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.
2. From the belly of the fish Jonah said this prayer to the LORD, his God:
3. Out of my distress I called to the LORD, and he answered me; From the midst of the nether world I cried for help, and you heard my voice.
4. For you cast me into the deep, into the heart of the sea, and the flood enveloped me; All your breakers and your billows passed over me.
5. Then I said, "I am banished from your sight! yet would I again look upon your holy temple."
6. The waters swirled about me, threatening my life; the abyss enveloped me; seaweed clung about my head.
7. Down I went to the roots of the mountains; the bars of the nether world were closing behind me forever, But you brought my life up from the pit, O LORD, my God.
8. When my soul fainted within me, I remembered the LORD; My prayer reached you in your holy temple.
9. Those who worship vain idols forsake their source of mercy.
10. But I, with resounding praise, will sacrifice to you; What I have vowed I will pay: deliverance is from the LORD.
11. Then the LORD commanded the fish to spew Jonah upon the shore.