1. Then Jonah prayed to the LORD his God from the belly of the fish,
2. saying, "I called to the LORD, out of my distress, and he answered me; out of the belly of Sheol I cried, and thou didst hear my voice.
3. For thou didst cast me into the deep, into the heart of the seas, and the flood was round about me; all thy waves and thy billows passed over me.
4. Then I said, `I am cast out from thy presence; how shall I again look upon thy holy temple?'
5. The waters closed in over me, the deep was round about me; weeds were wrapped about my head
6. at the roots of the mountains. I went down to the land whose bars closed upon me for ever; yet thou didst bring up my life from the Pit, O LORD my God.
7. When my soul fainted within me, I remembered the LORD; and my prayer came to thee, into thy holy temple.
8. Those who pay regard to vain idols forsake their true loyalty.
9. But I with the voice of thanksgiving will sacrifice to thee; what I have vowed I will pay. Deliverance belongs to the LORD!"
10. And the LORD spoke to the fish, and it vomited out Jonah upon the dry land.