1 Chronicles, 6
1. Levi had three sons: Gershom, Kohath and Merari.
2. These are the names of the sons of Gershom: Libni and Shimei.
3. Sons of Kohath: Amran, Izhar, Hebron, and Uzziel.
4. Sons of Merari: Mahli and Mushi. These are the families of Levi according to their ancestors.
5. Descendants of Gershon from one generation to the next: Libni, Jahath, Zimmah,
6. Joah, Iddo, Zerah, Jeatheral.
7. Descendants of Kohath from one generation to the next: Amminadab, Korah, Assir,
8. Elkanah, Ebiasaph, Assir,
9. Tahath, Uriel, Uzziah, Shaul.
10. Elkanah had two sons, Amasai and Ahimoth.
11. Elkanah, son of Ahimoth, Zophai, Nahath,
12. Eliab, Jeroham, Elkanah.
13. The sons of Elkanah were: Samuel his firstborn, and Abijah. Samuel had two sons: Joel, the firstborn, and Abijah, the younger.
14. Descendants of Merari from one generation to the next: Mahli, Libni,
15. Shimei, Uzzah, Shimea, Haggiah, Asaiah.
16. These are the men David named to lead the singing in the Temple of Yahweh when the ark had come to rest there.
17. They were responsible for the singing before the Holy Tent of the Tent of Meeting until Solomon had built the Temple of Yahweh in Jerusalem. They did their duties in accordance with the rules.
18. These are the men who accomplished this ministry, and their sons: Of the clan of Kohath: Herman, the leader of the first choir, was the son of Joel. His ancestral line went back to Jacob as follows: Herman, Joel, Samuel,
19. Elkanah, Jeroham, Eliel, Toah, Zuph,
20. Elkanah, Mahath, Amasai,
21. Elkanah, Joel, Azariah, Zephaniah,
22. Tahath, Assir, Ebiasaph, Korah,
23. Izhar, Kohath, Levi, Jacob.
24. His brother Asaph was leader of the second choir. His ancestral line went back to Levi as follows: Asaph, Berechiah, Shimea,
25. Michael, Baaseiah, Malchijah,
26. Ethni, Zerah, Adaiah,
27. Ethan, Zimmah, Shimei,
28. Jahath, Gershon, Levi.
29. Ethan of the clan of Merari was the leader of the third choir, at the left side. His ancestral line went back to Levi as follows: Ethan, Kishi, Abdi, Malluch,
30. Hashabiah, Amaziah, Hilkiah,
31. Amzi, Bani, Shemer,
32. Mahli, Mushi, Medrari, Levi.
33. Their brother Levites were in charge of the Holy Tent of the Temple of Yahweh.
34. Aaron and his descendants burned the offerings on the altar for burnt offering and on the altar of incense. They were responsible for all the worship in the Most Holy Place and for the atonement for Israel's sins, according to the instructions of Moses, the servant of God.
35. This is the line of Aaron's descendants: Eleazar, Phinehas, Abishua,
36. Bukki, Uzzi, Zerahiah,
37. Meraioth, Amariah, Ahitub,
38. Zadok, Ahimaaz.
39. These are the places they lived in, according to the boundaries of their settlements.
40. To the sons of Aaron of the Kohath clan (to whom the first share of land was assigned) they gave Hebron in the land of Judah and the pasture lands nearby.
41. The fields and villages of this town, however, had been given to Caleb, son of Jephunneh.
42. The following towns were given to the descendants of Aaron: Hebron, a city of refuge, Jattir, Libnah, Eshtemoa,
43. Hilen, Debir,
44. Ashan, and Beth-Shemesh, with pasture lands near them.
45. In the territory of Benjamin they were given the following towns with their pasture lands: Geba, Alemeth, and Anathoth. A total of thirteen towns were given them for all their families to live in.
46. To the rest of the clan of Kohath, family by family, ten towns were given from the territory of the half tribe of Manasseh.
47. The clan of Gershom, family by family, were given thirteen towns from the territories of Issachar, Asher, Naphtali and from the tribe of Manasseh in Bashan.
48. The clan of Merari, family by family, were given twelve towns from the territories of Reuben, Gad, and Zebulun.
49. The people of Israel gave these towns with their pasture lands to the Levites.
50. They received from the territories of Judah, Simeon and Benjamin the towns to which they gave names.
51. The clans of Kohath obtained towns by lot from the tribe of Ephraim.
52. They were given the following towns with their pasture lands: Shechem, the city of refuge in the hill country of Ephraim, Gezer,
53. Jokmeam, Beth-Horon,
54. Aijalon, and Gath Rimmon.
55. In the territory of the half tribe of Manasseh, they were given the towns of Aner and Beileam with their pasture lands.
56. The clan of Gershon, family by family, were given the following towns with their pasture lands. In the territory of the half tribe of Manasseh: Golan in Bashan, and Ashtaroth.
57. In the territory of Issachar: Kedesh, Daberath,
58. Ramoth, and Anem.
59. In the territory of Asher: Mashal, Abdon,
60. Hukok, and Rehob.
61. In the territory of Naphtali: Kedesh in Galilee, Hammon, and Kiriathaim.
62. To the rest of the clan of Merari were given the following towns with their pasture lands. In the territory of Zebulun: Rimmono and Tabor.
63. In the territory of Reuben, beyond the Jordan River near Jericho: Bezer on the high, flat land, Jahzah,
64. Kedemoth, and Mephaath.
65. In the territory of Gad: Ramoth in Gilead, Mahanaim,
66. Heshbon, and Jazer.