1 Chronicles, 9
1. All the Israelites were classified in related groups, but they were listed in the Book of the Kings of Israel. As for those of Judah, they were deported to Babylon for their faithlessness.
2. The first who came back to their towns and their estates were Israelites, priests, Levites and helpers.
3. So in Jerusalem lived Judaeans, Benjaminites, Ephraimites and Manassites.
4. Uthai son of Ammihud, son of Omri, son of Imri, son of Bani, one of the sons of Perez son of Judah.
5. Of the Shilonites: Asaiah, the firstborn, and his sons.
6. Of the sons of Zerah: Jeuel. Also their kinsmen: six hundred and ninety.
7. Of the tribe of Benjamin: Sallu son of Meshullam, son of Hodaviah, son of Hassenuah;
8. Ibneiah son of Jeroham; Elah son of Uzzi, son of Michri; Mesullam son of Shephatiah, son of Reuel, son of Ibnijah.
9. They had nine hundred and fifty-six kinsmen, grouped according to their kinship. All these men were heads of families.
10. Of the priests: Jedaiah, Jehoiarib, Jachin,
11. Azariah son of Hilkiah, son of Meshullam, son of Zadok, son of Meraioth, son of Ahitub, ruler of the house of God.
12. Adaiah son of Jeroham, son of Pashhur, son of Malchijah, Maasai son of Adiel, son of Jahzerah, son of Meshullam, son of Meshillemith, son of Immer.
13. They had kinsmen, heads of families, one thousand seven hundred and sixty men who undertook the duties of the Temple of God.
14. Of the Levites: Shemaiah son of Hasshub, son of Azrikam, son of Hashabiah of the sons of Merari,
15. Bakbakkar, Heresh, Galal, Mattaniah son of Mica, son of Zichri, son of Asaph,
16. Obadiah son of Shemaiah, son of Galal, son of Jeduthun, and Berechiah son of Asa, son of Elkanah who lived in the villages of the Netophathites.
17. The keepers of the gate: Shallum, Akkub, Talmon, Ahiman and their kinsmen. Shallum, was their head,
18. and they still keep station at the royal gate, to the east. These were the gatekeepers of the camp of the Levites.
19. Shallum son of Kore, son of Ebiasaph, son of Korah, with his brother Korahites, of the same family, were responsible for the liturgical service; they were "keepers of the threshold for the Tent," for their fathers had guarded the entrance of the camp of Yahweh.
20. At one time, Phinehas son of Eleazar had ruled them and they served before Yahweh.
21. Zechariah son of Meshelemiah was keeper of the gate at the entrance to the Tent of Meeting.
22. All the keepers of the gate at the thresholds were picked men; there were two hundred and twelve of them and they were registered in their various villages. These were appointed by David and Samuel the seer because of their loyalty.
23. They and their sons had the guardianship of the gates of the House of Yahweh, the house of the Tent.
24. On the four sides stood the keepers of the gate, east, west, north, and south.
25. Their kinsmen in their villages would come to join them for a week from time to time,
26. since the four head gatekeepers themselves lived there permanently. Some of them were responsible for the chambers and treasuries of the house of God.
27. They spent the night in the precincts of the house of God, their duties being to guard it and they had the keys with them to open the rooms at the morning.
28. Some of them were responsible for the furnishings of worship; they counted them whenever they put them away and took them out.
29. Others were in charge of the furniture and all the sacred furnishings, the fine flour, the wine, the oil, the incense, the spices,
30. but only the priests prepared the mixture for the spices.
31. One of the Levites, Mattithiah the firstborn of Shallum the Korahite, was responsible for the offerings that were to be baked on the pan.
32. Some of their kinsmen the Kohathites were responsible for the loaves to be set out in rows sabbath by sabbath.
33. These are the cantors, heads of the levitical families. When free from service they lived in the Temple chambers, because they were on duty day and night.
34. These were the heads of the families of the Levites, grouped according to their families. These heads lived in Jerusalem.
35. In the city of Gibeon lived Abigibeon and Jeiel, whose wife was called Maacah.
36. His firstborn was Abdon, then Zur, Kish, Baal, Ner, Nadab,
37. Gedor, Ahio, Zechariah.
38. Mikloth became father of Shimeam. Their descendants lived in Jerusalem near other families of their clans.
39. Ner became father of Kish, Kish father of Saul, Saul father of Jonathan, Malchi-shua, Abinadab and Eshbaal.
40. Jonathan's son Merribbaal, became father of Micah.
41. Micah had four sons: Pithon, Melech, Tahrea and Ahaz.
42. Ahaz became father of Jarah, Jarah father of Alemeth, Azmaveth and Zimri; Zimri became father of Moza,
43. Moza father of Binea, whose son was
44. Rephaiah, whose son was Eleasah, whose son was Azel. Azel had six sons; their names were these: Azrikam, his firstborn, then Ishmael, Bocheru, Sheariah, Obadiah, Hanan. These were the sons of Azel.