1. Unless the Lord builds the house, in vain do its builders labor. Unless the Lord guards the city, in vain does the guard stay awake.
2. It is in vain that you rise early and stay up late, putting off your rest, toiling for your hard-earned bread; God gives it to his loved ones, and they sleep.
3. Sons are a gift from the Lord; the fruit of the womb is a reward.
4. Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are the sons of one's youth.
5. Blessed is the man who has filled his quiver with arrows of this kind, their foes will not silence them when they contend in court.