1. The leaders of the people settled in Jerusalem. The rest of the people drew lots so that for every ten men, one would live in Jerusalem, the Holy City, with the remaining nine settling in other cities.
2. The people blessed all the men who volunteered to live in Jerusalem.
3. These are the provincial leaders who resided in Jerusalem. And in the cities of Judah, everyone settled on his property, in the city of his family: the people of Israel and their priests and Levites, ministers and the sons of the servants of Solomon.
4. In Jerusalem there lived some of the tribe of Judah and some of the tribe of Benjamin. Of the tribe of Judah: Athaiah son of Uzziah, grandson of Zechariah, son of Amariah, son of Sephatiah, son of Mehalalel, of the descendants of Perez;
5. Maaseiah son of Baruch, grandson of Colhozeh, son of Hazaiah, son of Adaiah, son of Joiarib, son of Zechariah, descendant of Shelah.
6. The total number of the descendants of Perez living in Jerusalem was four hundred and sixty-eight adult men.
7. These belonged to the tribe of Benjamin: Sallu son of Meshullam, grandson of Joed, son of Pedaiah, son of Kolaiah, son of Maaseiah, son of Ithiel, son of Jeshaiah,
8. and his kinsmen, adult men: nine hundred and twenty-eight.
9. Joel son of Zichri was their leader, and Judah son of Hassenuah was second in command of the city.
10. Of the priests: Jedaiah son of Joiakin, son of Seraiah, son of Hilkiah,
11. grandson of Meshullam, son of Zadok, son of Meraioth, son of Ahitub, who was the High Priest,
12. and his kinsmen who were responsible for the Temple liturgy: eight hundred and twenty-two; Adaiah son of Jeroham, son of Pelaliah, son of Amzi, son of Zechariah, son of Pashhur, son of Malchijah,
13. and his kinsmen, heads of families: two hundred and forty-two; and Amashai son of Azarel, grandson of Ahzai, son of Meshillemoth, son of Immer,
14. and his kinsmen, adult men: one hundred and twenty-eight. Zabdiel son of Haggadol was in charge of them.
15. Of the Levites: Shemaiah son of Hasshub, grandson of Azrikam, son of Hashabiah, son of Bunni,
16. Shabbethai and Jozabad, the levitical leaders responsible for the outside work of the Temple of God;
17. Mattaniah son of Mica, grandson of Zabdi, son of Asaph, who directed the hymns and, at prayer, intoned the thanksgiving; Bakbukiah, the second in rank among his kinsmen; Obaidah son of Shammua, grandson of Galai, son of Jeduthun.
18. The total number of Levites in the holy city: two hundred and eighty-four.
19. The gatekeepers: Akkub, Talmon and their kinsmen, who kept watch at the gates: one hundred and seventy-two.
20. The rest of the Israelites, priests and Levites made their homes throughout the towns of Judah, each man in his own inheritance,
21. The workmen lived at Ophel; Ziha and Gishpa were in charge of the workmen.
22. The head of the Levites in Jerusalem was Uzzi son of Bani, grandson of Hashbiah, son of Mattaniah, son of Mica, he belonged to the clan of Asaph who were responsible for the chanted parts of the liturgy in the Temple of God;
23. there were royal regulations stating how the clans should take turns in leading the Temple music each day.
24. Pethahiah son of Meshezabel, belonging to the clan of Zerah and the tribe of Judah, was the king's commissioner for all such matters as concerned the people.
25. and in the villages situated in rural districts of their own fields. Some of the tribe of Judah made their homes in Kiriatharba and its outlying villages, in Dibon and its outlying villages, in Jekabzeel and its outlying villages,
26. in Jeshua, Moladah, Beth-pelet,
27. Hazar-shual, in Beersheba and its villages,
28. in Ziklag, in Meconah and its villages,
29. in Enrimmon, Zorah, Jarmuth,
30. Zanoah, Adullam and their villages: thus, they settled from Beersheba as far as the Valley of Hinnom.
31. Some of the tribe of Benjamin made their homes in Geba, Michmash, Aija, in Bethel and its villages,
32. Anathoth, Nob, Ananiah,
33. Hazor, Ramah, Gittaim,
34. Hadid, Zeboim, Neballat,
35. Lod and Ono, and the Valley of the Craftsmen.
36. Some groups of Levites settled in Judah as well as in Benjamin.