1. Do not put your confidence in your money or say, 'With this I am self-sufficient.'
2. Do not be led by your appetites and energy to follow the passions of your heart.
3. And do not say, 'Who has authority over me?' for the Lord will certainly give you your deserts.
4. Do not say, 'I have sinned, but what harm has befallen me?' for the Lord's forbearance is long.
5. Do not be so sure of forgiveness that you add sin to sin.
6. And do not say, 'His compassion is great, he will forgive me my many sins'; for with him are both mercy and retribution, and his anger does not pass from sinners.
7. Do not delay your return to the Lord, do not put it off day after day; for suddenly the Lord's wrath will blaze out, and on the day of punishment you will be utterly destroyed.
8. Do not set your heart on ill-gotten gains, they will be of no use to you on the day of disaster.
9. Do not winnow in every wind, or walk along every by-way (as the double-talking sinner does).
10. Be steady in your convictions, and be a person of your word.
11. Be quick to listen, and deliberate in giving an answer.
12. If you understand the matter, give your neighbour an answer, if not, keep your hand over your mouth.
13. Both honour and disgrace come from talking, the tongue is its owner's downfall.
14. Do not get a name for scandal-mongering, do not set traps with your tongue; for as shame lies in store for the thief, so harsh condemnation awaits the deceitful.
15. Avoid offences in great as in small matters, and do not exchange friendship for enmity,