1. On the fifth day of the sixth month in the sixth year, I happened to be sitting in my house with the elders of Judah sitting in front of me when the hand of Yahweh fell heavily on me.
2. I looked and saw a being as of fire. Downwards from what appeared to be his loins there was the appearance of fire, and from his loins upward a brightness like sparkling bronze.
3. As he stretched out the form of a hand and took me by my hair, the spirit lifted me between heaven and earth and brought me in a divine vision to Jerusalem, to the entrance of the inner gate facing north. There stands the idol which provokes Yahweh's jealousy.
4. And the Glory of the God of Israel was there, similar to the vision I had seen in the plain.
5. He said to me, "Son of man, look to the north." I looked in the direction of the north and there, to the north of the altar gate, at the entrance, I saw this idol which provokes his jealousy.
6. He said to me, "Son of man, do you see what they are doing? Do you see the great abomination that Israel commits here to drive me from my sanctuary? You will see other abominations greater than this."
7. He then led me to the door of the court.
8. He said, "Son of man, break through the wall." I broke through the wall and made an opening.
9. He said, "Go in and see the wicked abomination they are committing here."
10. I went in, looked around and saw all kinds of reptiles, repulsive beasts and all the filthy idols of Israel portrayed on the wall all around.
11. Before them stood seventy men, elders of Israel, and among them was Jaazaniah, son of Shaphan. Each held a censer in his hand, and perfume rose from a cloud of incense.
12. He said, "Do you see, son of man, what the elders of Israel do in the dark, each one in his room of pictures? For they think: Yahweh does not see us; Yahweh has forsaken the land."
13. Then he said, "You will see more of their great abominations."
14. He brought me to the entrance of the north gate of the house of Yahweh and there women were sitting, weeping for Tammuz.
15. He said to me, "Did you see, son of man? You will see even greater abominations than these."
16. And he led me to the inner court of the house of Yahweh and at the door to Yahweh's sanctuary, between the porch and the altar, were about twenty-five men, their backs to the temple, facing east and worshiping the sun. He said to me,
17. "Did you see, son of man? Is it not enough for Judah to commit the abominations that they commit here? See they are waving the branch before their nose.
18. I too will act against them in anger; my eye will not see with pity and I will be without mercy. Though they cry loudly in my ears, I will not hear them."