1. On the first day of the month in the eleventh year, the word of Yahweh came to me in these terms,
2. "Son of man, you see how Tyre has mocked Jerusalem: 'Aha! the land through which the goods of the nations came to me is destroyed; what she received will now be mine, I shall prosper while she lies in ruins.'
3. Because Tyre said that - word of Yahweh - I am against her! I will bring many people against her. They will rise like the waves of the sea,
4. they will destroy the ramparts of Tyre and knock down its towers. I will sweep away the dust, making of it a bare rock.
5. She will be in the midst of the sea, a place to hang out nets - I, Yahweh, have spoken.
6. Tyre will be plunder for the nations; her villages on dry land will be laid waste by the sword and they will know that I am Yahweh."
7. This is what Yahweh says, "From the north I will bring Nebuchadnezzar, king of Babylon, against Tyre. He will come with horses, chariots and cavalry, a vast army and throngs of people.
8. He will lay waste with the sword your villages on dry land. He will set up a siege wall against you and throw up a mound and raise a roof of shields against you.
9. He will set a battering ram to hammer your walls and he will demolish your towers with weapons.
10. His numerous horses will cover you with dust. The noise of the cavalry, the wheels of the chariots and wagons will make your walls shake when they enter your gates as one enters a town through a breach in its walls.
11. Horses' hooves will trample your streets; he will slay your people with the sword and your powerful pillars will crumble to the ground.
12. They will plunder your riches and loot your merchandise. They will break down your walls and destroy your pleasant houses. Your stones, timber and soil they will cast into the sea.
13. I will silence your songs and the sound of your lyres will be heard no more.
14. I will make a stark rock of you, a place to dry fishing nets, and you shall never be rebuilt! - I, Yahweh, have spoken.
15. This is a word of Yahweh to Tyre: At the time of your massacre, will not the coastlands quake, when the noise of your fall and the groaning of the victims is heard?
16. All the princes of the sea will step down from their thrones; they will remove their robes and take off their embroidered garments. They will put on mourning clothes, sit on the ground, tremble with fear and be appalled because of you.
17. They will be amazed on your account and will take up this lament: 'How you have perished, vanished from the sea, city of renown! Formerly you and your citizens were so powerful on the sea! You imposed terror on all
18. but now the coastlands tremble on the day of your fall. The islands of the sea are terrified at your disappearance.'
19. Thus says Yahweh: When I make you into a city of ruins like uninhabited towns, when I make the ocean rise against you and the mighty waters cover you,
20. then I will thrust you down with those who descend to the pit, to the people of long ago. I will throw you into the netherworld, into everlasting loneliness, like those who go down to the pit, that you may not return to the land of the living.
21. Then you will be an object of horror, and even if sought, you will not be found - word of Yahweh."