1. On the first of the twelfth month in the twelfth year, the word of Yahweh came to me in these terms,
2. "Intone a lamentation for Pharaoh, king of Egypt. You will say: Lion of the nations, you are lost! You were like a monster of the sea, thrashing the water in the rivers, stirring and muddying the water with your feet.
3. This is what Yahweh says: I will spread my nets over you, and an assembly of many nations will haul you up into my net.
4. I will throw you on the ground, hurl you into the open field and let the birds of the air settle on you and the beasts of the earth feed on you.
5. I will scatter your flesh on the mountains, fill the valleys with your remains and
6. drench the earth with your liquids. When I blot you out,
7. the skies will darken and the stars become dim; I will veil the sun with a cloud and the moon shall not give its light.
8. Because of you I will darken all the lights in the sky and cover the earth in darkness, word of Yahweh.
9. Many nations will grieve when I spread the news of your fall, even people you do not know;
10. their kings will shudder because of you when I wave my sword before them. All of them will tremble for their life, on the day of your fall.
11. For thus says Yahweh: The sword of the king of Babylon is coming against you.
12. The sword of the warriors, the most terrible among the nations will destroy your numerous people. They will shatter the pride of Egypt and your multitudes will be exterminated.
13. I will destroy all your cattle along the shores of the great river, no longer to be trod by man or beast.
14. And then I will calm their rivers, and their streams will flow like oil, word of Yahweh.
15. When I make a wasteland of Egypt and destroy its inhabitants, striking all those who live there, they will know that I am Yahweh.
16. This is the dirge which the cities of the nations will chant for Egypt and its multitudes - word of Yahweh."
17. On the fifteenth day of the month, in the eleventh year, the word of Yahweh came to me in these terms,
18. "Son of man, wail for the multitudes of Egypt and make them descend to the netherworld.
19. For I will send them to the land of shadows with those who go down to the pit.
20. There they will meet all the victims of the sword. Egypt has been taken; she has been dragged away with her multitudes.
21. The mighty heroes in the netherworld together with Pharaoh's allies, will say to her: 'Why should you be more favored than others? Come down and make your bed with the uncircumcised, with those fallen by the sword.'
22. Assyria is there with her entire army; she is surrounded by the tombs of her victims fallen by the sword.
23. Their graves are at the bottom of the pit and her army lies around her tomb; all those who spread terror in the land of the living have been killed by the sword.
24. Elam is there with all her multitude around her tomb, all of them slain, fallen by the sword. They are the uncircumcised, who have gone down to the lower regions, those who spread terror in the land of the living; they bear their shame with those who go down to the pit.
26. Meschech and Tubal are there with the tombs of their multitude around them. All these uncircumcised are there pierced by the sword, for they spread terror in the land of the living.
27. They are not lying with the heroes of former times who went to the grave with all their gear of war; the heroes whose terror filled the land of the living, lie with their swords placed under their heads their shields over their bones.
28. You instead will be among the uncircumcised victims of the sword.
29. Edom is there with her kings and princes who despite their bravery lie with those fallen by the sword. They are placed with the uncircumcised and with those who go down to the pit.
30. All the princes of the north are there and all the Sidonians who have gone down in disgrace with the slain, despite the terror caused by their power. They are shamed and lie with the uncircumcised, victims of the sword. They bear their shame with those who go down to the pit.
31. When Pharaoh and all his army see them, he will be comforted because of all his multitudes killed by the sword, word of Yahweh.
32. Although I had him spread terror in the land of the living, Pharaoh will be laid among the uncircumcised victims of the sword, he and his multitudes, word of Yahweh."