1. Son of man, take a sharp sword and use it as a barber's razor on your head and beard. Then take scales and divide the hair you have cut off.
2. Burn a third of it in the middle of the city at the end of the siege, then take a third that you will strike with the sword all around the city; finally scatter a third in the wind and unsheathe a sword and pursue them.
3. Take a few strands of hair and tuck them away in the folds of your clothes;
4. then throw some of them to burn in the fire. Then speak against all Israel:
5. This is what Yahweh said: That is Jerusalem! I placed her in the midst of the nations surrounded by other countries;
6. she rebelled against my laws and my precepts more than neighboring nations. In fact she rejected my laws and did not keep my decrees.
7. That is why Yahweh speaks thus: Your rebellion is greater than that of the nations around you - you have not kept my laws, respected my decrees or observed my ordinances but instead have conformed to the laws of neighboring nations -
8. because of that Yahweh speaks thus: I too have set myself against you. I will pass judgment on you in the sight of the nations.
9. And because of your abominations I will punish you in a way I have never before done and never will do in the future.
10. That is why fathers among you will eat their children and children their fathers. I will pass judgment on you and scatter your remnant to every wind.
11. Therefore as surely as I live, declares Yahweh, because you have defiled my sanctuary with all your horrors and abominations, I will strike you without pity! I too will show no mercy!
12. A third of your people will die of the plague or starve within your walls, a third will fall by the sword outside the city, a third I will scatter to the winds and pursue with sword unsheathed.
13. My anger will spend itself, my fury against them be satisfied. I will have my revenge and they will know that I, Yahweh, have spoken in my jealousy when I have exhausted my fury against them.
14. I will make you a heap of ruins, a reproach among the neighboring nations in the eyes of all who pass by.
15. You will be a reproach, a taunt, a lesson, a warning and an object of horror for the nations near you when, with anger, wrath and stinging reproach, I punish you. I, Yahweh, have spoken.
16. When I send against you the deadly arrows of starvation to do away with you and blot you out, I will make you lack all food.
17. Hunger and wild beasts will destroy your children, while sword and plague will visit you. It is I, Yahweh, who have spoken."