1. These are the sons of Israel: Reuben, Simeon, Levi and Judah; Issachar and Zebulun;
2. Dan, Joseph and Benjamin, Nephtali; Gad and Asher.
3. Judah had five sons in all. The first three were born to him by Bath-shua the Canaanite woman. They were Er, Onan and Shelah. Er, Judah's firstborn, was so evil that Yahweh put him to death.
4. By his daughter-in-law Tamar, Judah had two more sons, Perez and Zerah.
5. Perez had two sons, Hezron and Hamul.
6. His brother Zerah had five sons: Zimri, Hetan, Heman, Calcol and Dara.
7. One of them, Achar, son of Carmi - brought trouble upon the people of Israel by keeping loot that had been devoted to God.
8. Ethan had one son, Azariah.
9. Hezron became the father of Jerahmeel, Ram, and Caleb.
10. Ram was the father of Amminadab; Amminadab of Nahshan.
11. Nahshan, who was a prince of the tribe of Judah, was the father of Salmon; Salmon of Boaz;
12. Boaz of Obed; Obed of Jesse.
13. Jesse had seven sons: Eliab, the firstborn, Abinadab, Shammah,
14. Nethanel, Raddai,
15. Ozem and David, the youngest. Jesse had two daughters: Zerwiah and Abigail.
16. Zerwiah had three sons: Abishai, Joab and Asahel.
17. Abigail married Jether the Ishmaelite. They had a son named Amasa.
18. Caleb, son of Hezron, married Azubah and had a daughter named Jerioth. Jerioth had three sons: Jesher, Shobab and Ardon.
19. Azubah died, and Caleb married Ephrath, and they had a son named Hur.
20. Hur became father of Uri and grandfather of Bezalel.
21. When Hezron was sixty years old he married Machir's daughter, the sister of Gilead. They had a son named Segub, who had a son named Jair.
22. Jair ruled twenty-three towns in the land of Gilead.
23. But the kingdoms of Geshur and Aram took from them the villages of Jair, that is Kenath and its towns, sixty towns in all. All this had belonged to the descendants of Machir, father of Gilead.
24. After Hezron's death, his son Caleb married Ephrathah, his father's widow. They had a son named Ashur, the father of Tekoa.
25. Jerahmeel, Hezron's eldest son, had five sons: Ram, his firstborn, Bunah, Oren, Ozem and Ahijah.
26. Jerahmeel had another wife called Atarah; she was the mother of Onam.
27. Ram had three sons: Maaz, Jamin and Eker.
28. Onam was the father of Shammai and Jada; Shammai, of Nadab and Abishur.
29. Abishur's wife was called Abihail; she bore him Ahban and Molid.
30. Nadab had two sons, Seled and Appaim, but Seled died leaving no son.
31. Appaim was the father of Ishi, who was the father of Sheshan; Sheshan was the father of Ahlai.
32. Jada, Shammai's brother, had two sons: Jether and Jonathan. Jether died leaving no sons.
33. Jonathan had two sons: Peleth and Zaza. These were all descendants of Jerahmeel.
34. Sheshan had no sons, only daughters.
35. He had an Egyptian slave named Jarha to whom he gave his daughter in marriage.
36. They had a son named Attai. The ancestral line from Attai to Elishama is as follows: Attai, Nathan,
37. Zabad, Ephlal, Obed,
38. Jehu, Azariah,
39. Helez, Eleasah,
40. Sismai, Shallum,
41. Jekamiah, and Elishama.
42. The firstborn son of Caleb, Jerahmeel's brother, was named Mesha. Mesha was the father of Ziph, who was the father of Meresha.
43. Meresha was father of Hebron who had four sons: Korah, Tappuah, Rekem and Shema.
44. Shema became father of Raham and grandfather of Jorkeam. Rekem became father of Shammai
45. and grandfather of Maon. Maon became father of Bethzur.
46. Caleb had a concubine named Ephah who gave birth to Haran, Moza and Gazez. Haran also had a son named Gazez.
47. Jahdai had six sons: Regem, Jotham, Geshan, Pelet, Ephah and Shaaph.
48. Caleb had another concubine, Maacah, who gave birth to Sheber and Tirhanah.
49. Later she had two more sons: Shaaph, who founded the town of Madmannah, and Sheva, who founded the towns of Machbenah and Gibea. The daughter of Caleb was Achsah.
50. The following were also descendants of Caleb. Hur was the firstborn son of Ephrath. Hur's son Shobal was father of Kiriath-jearim;
51. Salma, father of Bethlehem, and Haroeh, father of Beth-gader.
52. Shobal, the father of Kiriath-jearim was the father of the people of Haroah, that is half of the Manahathites,
53. and also the clans living in Kiriath-jearim: the Ithrites, Puthites, Shumathites and Mishraites. The people of the cities of Zorah and Eshtaol belonged to these clans.
54. Sons of Salma: Bethlehem, Netophath, Atroth Beth-Joab, and the Zorites, who were one of the clans in Manaheth. The Soferites lived in the town of Jabez: the Tirathites, Shimeathites, and Sucathites. They were Cainites, descendants of Jamat, the Rechabites' ancestor.