1. Oracle on Moab: Laid waste in a night, Ar of Moab is destroyed; Laid waste in a night, Kir of Moab is destroyed.
2. Up goes daughter Dibon to the high places to weep; Over Nebo and over Medeba Moab wails. Every head is shaved, every beard sheared off.
3. In the streets they wear sackcloth, lamenting and weeping; On the rooftops and in the squares everyone wails.
4. Heshbon and Elealeh cry out, they are heard as far as Jahaz. At this the loins of Moab tremble, his soul quivers within him;
5. The heart of Moab cries out, his fugitives reach Zoar (Eglath-shelishiyah). The ascent of Luhith they climb weeping; On the way to Horonaim they utter rending cries.
6. The waters of Nimrim have become a waste; The grass is withered, new growth is gone, nothing is green.
7. So now whatever they have acquired or stored away they carry across the Gorge of the Poplars,
8. For the cry has gone round the land of Moab; As far as Eglaim the wailing, and to Beer-elim, the wail.
9. The waters of Dimon are filled with blood, but I will bring still more upon Dimon: Lions for those who are fleeing from Moab and for those who remain in the land!