1. Lo, the LORD empties the land and lays it waste; he turns it upside down, scattering its inhabitants:
2. Layman and priest alike, servant and master, The maid as her mistress, the buyer as the seller, The lender as the borrower, the creditor as the debtor.
3. The earth is utterly laid waste, utterly stripped, for the LORD has decreed this thing.
4. The earth mourns and fades, the world languishes and fades; both heaven and earth languish.
5. The earth is polluted because of its inhabitants, who have transgressed laws, violated statutes, broken the ancient covenant.
6. Therefore a curse devours the earth, and its inhabitants pay for their guilt; Therefore they who dwell on earth turn pale, and few men are left.
7. The wine mourns, the vine languishes, all the merry-hearted groan.
8. Stilled are the cheerful timbrels, ended the shouts of the jubilant, stilled is the cheerful harp.
9. They cannot sing and drink wine; strong drink is bitter to those who partake of it.
10. Broken down is the city of chaos, shut against entry, every house.
11. In the streets they cry out for lack of wine; all joy has disappeared and cheer has left the land.
12. In the city nothing remains but ruin; its gates are battered and desolate.
13. Thus it is within the land, and among the peoples, As with an olive tree after it is beaten, as with a gleaning when the vintage is done.
14. These lift up their voice in acclaim; from the sea they proclaim the majesty of the LORD:
15. "For this, in the coastlands, give glory to the LORD! In the coastlands of the sea, to the name of the LORD, the God of Israel!"
16. From the end of the earth we hear songs: "Splendor to the Just One!" But I said, "I am wasted, wasted away. Woe is me! The traitors betray: with treachery have the traitors betrayed!
17. Terror, pit, and trap are upon you, inhabitant of the earth;
18. He who flees at the sound of terror will fall into the pit; He who climbs out of the pit will be caught in the trap. For the windows on high will be opened and the foundations of the earth will shake.
19. The earth will burst asunder, the earth will be shaken apart, the earth will be convulsed.
20. The earth will reel like a drunkard, and it will sway like a hut; Its rebellion will weigh it down, until it falls, never to rise again."
21. On that day the LORD will punish the host of the heavens in the heavens, and the kings of the earth on the earth.
22. They will be gathered together like prisoners into a pit; They will be shut up in a dungeon, and after many days they will be punished.
23. Then the moon will blush and the sun grow pale, For the LORD of hosts will reign on Mount Zion and in Jerusalem, glorious in the sight of his elders.