1. A Canticle in steps: of Solomon. Unless the Lord has built the house, those who build it have labored in vain. Unless the Lord has guarded the city, he who guards it watches in vain.
2. It is in vain that you rise before daylight, that you rise up after you have sat down, you who chew the bread of sorrow. Whereas, to his beloved, he will give sleep.
3. Behold, the inheritance of the Lord is sons, the reward is the fruit of the womb.
4. Like arrows in the hand of the powerful, so are the sons of those who have been cast out.
5. Blessed is the man who has filled his desire from these things. He will not be confounded when he speaks to his enemies at the gate.