1. [Song of Ascents] Yahweh, remember David and all the hardships he endured,
2. the oath he swore to Yahweh, his vow to the Mighty One of Jacob:
3. 'I will not enter tent or house, will not climb into bed,
4. will not allow myself to sleep, not even to close my eyes,
5. till I have found a place for Yahweh, a dwelling for the Mighty One of Jacob!'
6. Listen, we heard of it in Ephrathah, we found it at Forest-Fields.
7. Let us go into his dwelling-place, and worship at his footstool.
8. Go up, Yahweh, to your resting-place, you and the ark of your strength.
9. Your priests are robed in saving justice, your faithful are shouting for joy.
10. For the sake of your servant David, do not reject your anointed.
11. Yahweh has sworn to David, and will always remain true to his word, 'I promise that I will set a son of yours upon your throne.
12. If your sons observe my covenant and the instructions I have taught them, their sons too for evermore will occupy your throne.'
13. For Yahweh has chosen Zion, he has desired it as a home.
14. 'Here shall I rest for evermore, here shall I make my home as I have wished.
15. 'I shall generously bless her produce, give her needy their fill of food,
16. I shall clothe her priests with salvation, and her faithful will sing aloud for joy.
17. 'There I shall raise up a line of descendants for David, light a lamp for my anointed;
18. I shall clothe his enemies with shame, while his own crown shall flourish.'