2. Listen to my prayer, O God, do not be deaf to my pleading;
3. give heed to me and answer me. I am greatly troubled
4. at the outcry of the enemy and the clamor of the wicked. I am distraught at the way they revile me and persecute me in their fury.
5. My heart agonizes within me; the terrors of death fall upon me.
6. I tremble in fear - horror has got the better of me.
7. I said, "If I had wings like a dove, I would fly away and be at rest;
8. I would seek a home in the desert
9. or hurry to find a cave for shelter from the tempest."
10. O Lord, shatter their plans. In the city I see strife and violence;
11. day and night they prowl about its walls, while inside, evil prevails.
12. Forces of tyranny and treachery are at work undermining the city.
13. If it were a rival insulting me, I could bear with him; if it were a foe in pursuit of me, I could hide from him.
14. But it is you, an equal of mine, my bosom friend, my companion
15. whose fellowship I enjoyed as we walked together in the house of God.
16. Let death come upon them suddenly, let them go down to the grave alive, for within them evil and mischief thrive.
17. But in God I seek refuge; the Lord will rescue me.
18. Morning, evening, and even at noon, I cry out my grievance and moan; surely he will hear my voice.
19. He will deliver me in safety from my opponents, for they are many.
20. God who is enthroned forever will hear me and humble them, for they do not repent nor do they stand in awe of God.
21. My friend has attacked his associates and has violated his pact with them.
22. His words were smoother than butter, yet war was in his heart; his utterances, more soothing than oil, were swords ready and drawn.
23. Place your burden on the Lord, and he will sustain you, for he never allows the upright to fall.
24. But you, O God, will cast the wicked into a pit; bloodthirsty and treacherous, they will not live out half their days. As for me, I trust in you alone, O Lord.