1. The word of Yahweh came to me on the tenth day of the tenth month of the ninth year in these terms,
2. "Write today's date, this very day, because the king of Babylon has laid siege to Jerusalem today.
3. Teach this rebellious people by means of a parable: This is what Yahweh ordered me to do: Put the pot on the fire; place it there and pour water into it.
4. Put in it all the pieces of meat, the choice pieces, the leg and shoulder and fill it with the best of the bones.
5. Take these from the pick of the flock. Set wood underneath it in a circle to boil the pieces of meat and cook the bones in it."
6. Now this is what Yahweh says, "Woe to the city of blood, to the rusty pot with the rust encrusted on it! Let them empty it, piece by piece but without sparing anyone,
7. for the blood she shed is in her midst. She poured it on the rock surface, not on the ground where dust would cover it.
8. But I will not cover the blood that was poured on the bare rock. I shall instead kindle my fury and take revenge.
9. That is why the Lord Yahweh speaks thus: Woe to the city of blood!
10. I will make a great heap of wood! Pile on the wood, light the fire, cook the meat well, adding the spice, and let the bones burn.
11. Leave the empty pot on the coals that it may heat and the bronze grow red-hot to melt the filth inside so its rust will be consumed.
12. But the rust is such that not even the fire removes it.
13. I have tried to cleanse you of the filth of your immorality but since you would not be cleansed, you shall not be cleansed until I have satisfied my fury against you.
14. I, Yahweh, have spoken. This will happen; I will act and not relent; I will show no pity, no compassion. You shall be judged according to your ways and your deeds - word of Yahweh."
15. The word of Yahweh came to me in these terms,
16. "Son of man, I am about to suddenly take from you the delight of your eyes, but you are not to lament or weep or let your tears flow.
17. Groan in silence and do not mourn for the dead; wear your turban, put on your sandals, do not cover your beard or eat the customary food of mourners."
18. I spoke to the people in the morning and my wife died that evening. The next morning I did as I had been commanded.
19. Then the people said to me: "Explain to us the meaning of your actions."
20. I said to them, "The word of Yahweh came to me in these terms:
21. 'Say to Israel: I am about to profane my sanctuary, your pride, the delight of your eyes for which you long. The sons and daughters you left behind will also fall by the sword,
22. but you will do as I have done: you will not cover your beard or eat the customary food of mourners;
23. you will keep your turbans on your heads and sandals on your feet. You will not lament or weep. Instead, because of your sin, you will waste away and groan among yourselves.
24. Ezekiel will be a sign for you. Do as he did and when this happens you will know that I am Yahweh.'
25. Son of man, the day I take their stronghold, the jewel which is the delight of their eyes, for which they and their children long,
26. on that day a fugitive will come to give you the news.
27. That very day you will open your mouth and be able to speak to him and you will no longer be silent. You will be a sign for them and they will know I am Yahweh."