1. And the word of the Lord came to me in the ninth year, in the tenth month, the tenth day of the month, saying:
2. Son of man, write thee the name of this day, on which the king of Babylon hath set himself against Jerusalem to day.
3. And thou shalt speak by a figure a parable to the provoking house, and say to them: Thus saith the Lord God: Set on a pot, set it on, I say, and put water into it.
4. Heap together into if the pieces thereof, every good piece, the thigh and the shoulder, choice pieces and full of bones.
5. Take the fattest of the flock, and lay together piles of bones under it: the seething thereof is boiling hot, and the bones thereof are thoroughly sodden in the midst of it.
6. Therefore thus saith the Lord God: Woe to the bloody city, to the pot whose rust is in it, and its rust is not gone out of it: cast it out piece by piece, there hath no lot fallen upon it.
7. For her blood is in the midst of her, she hath shed it upon the smooth rock: she hath not shed it upon the ground, that it might be covered with dust.
8. And that I might bring my indignation upon her, and take my vengeance: I have shed her blood upon the smooth rock, that it should not be covered.
9. Therefore thus saith the Lord God: Woe to the bloody city, of which I will make a great bonfire.
10. Heap together the bones, which I will burn with Are: the flesh shall be consumed, and the whole composition shall be sodden, and the bones shall be consumed.
11. Then set it empty upon burning coals, that it may be hot, and the brass thereof may be melted: and let the filth of it be melted in the midst thereof, and let the rust of it be consumed.
12. Great pains have been taken, and the great rust thereof is not gone out, not even by fire.
13. Thy uncleanness is execrable: be- cause I desired to cleanse thee, and thou art not cleansed from thy filthiness: neither shalt thou be cleansed, before I cause my indignation to rest in thee.
14. I the Lord have spoken: it shall come to pass, and I will do it: I will not pass by, nor spare, nor be pacified: I will judge thee according to thy ways, and according to thy doings, saith the Lord.
15. And the word of the Lord came to me, saying:
16. Son of man, behold I take from thee the desire of thy eyes with a stroke: and thou shalt not lament, nor weep : neither shall thy tears run down.
17. Sigh in silence, make no mourning for the dead: let the tire of thy head be upon thee, and thy shoes on thy feet, and cover not thy face, nor eat the meat of mourners.
18. So I spoke to the people in the morning, and my wife died in the evening: and I did in the morning as he had commanded me.
19. And the people said to me: Why dost thou not tell us what these things mean that thou doest?
20. And I said to them: The word of the Lord came to me, saying:
21. Speak to the house of Israel: Thus saith the Lord God: Behold I will profane my sanctuary, the glory of your realm, and the thing that your eyes de sire, and for which your soul feareth: your sons, and your daughters, whom you have left, shall fall by the sword.
22. And you shall do as I have done: you shall not cover your faces, nor shall you eat the meat of mourners.
23. You shall have crowns on your heads, and shoes on your feet: you shall not lament nor weep, but you shall pine away for your iniquities, and every one shall sigh with his brother.
24. And Ezechiel shall be unto you for a sign of things to come: according to all that he hath done, so shall you do, when this shall come to pass: and you shall know that I am the Lord God.
25. And thou, O son of man, behold in the day wherein I will take away from them their strength, and the joy of their glory, and the desire of their eyes, upon which their souls rest, their sons and their daughters.
26. In that day when he that escapeth shall come to thee, to tell thee:
27. In that day, I say, shall thy mouth be opened to him that hath escaped, and thou shalt speak, and shalt be silent no more: and thou shalt be unto them for a sign of things to come, and you shall know that I am the Lord.