1. Set the trumpet to your lips, for a vulture is over the house of the LORD, because they have broken my covenant, and transgressed my law.
2. To me they cry, My God, we Israel know thee.
3. Israel has spurned the good; the enemy shall pursue him.
4. They made kings, but not through me. They set up princes, but without my knowledge. With their silver and gold they made idols for their own destruction.
5. I have spurned your calf, O Sama'ria. My anger burns against them. How long will it be till they are pure
6. in Israel? A workman made it; it is not God. The calf of Sama'ria shall be broken to pieces.
7. For they sow the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind. The standing grain has no heads, it shall yield no meal; if it were to yield, aliens would devour it.
8. Israel is swallowed up; already they are among the nations as a useless vessel.
9. For they have gone up to Assyria, a wild ass wandering alone; E'phraim has hired lovers.
10. Though they hire allies among the nations, I will soon gather them up. And they shall cease for a little while from anointing king and princes.
11. Because E'phraim has multiplied altars for sinning, they have become to him altars for sinning.
12. Were I to write for him my laws by ten thousands, they would be regarded as a strange thing.
13. They love sacrifice; they sacrifice flesh and eat it; but the LORD has no delight in them. Now he will remember their iniquity, and punish their sins; they shall return to Egypt.
14. For Israel has forgotten his Maker, and built palaces; and Judah has multiplied fortified cities; but I will send a fire upon his cities, and it shall devour his strongholds.