1. E'phraim herds the wind, and pursues the east wind all day long; they multiply falsehood and violence; they make a bargain with Assyria, and oil is carried to Egypt.
2. The LORD has an indictment against Judah, and will punish Jacob according to his ways, and requite him according to his deeds.
3. In the womb he took his brother by the heel, and in his manhood he strove with God.
4. He strove with the angel and prevailed, he wept and sought his favor. He met God at Bethel, and there God spoke with him --
5. the LORD the God of hosts, the LORD is his name:
6. "So you, by the help of your God, return, hold fast to love and justice, and wait continually for your God."
7. A trader, in whose hands are false balances, he loves to oppress.
8. E'phraim has said, "Ah, but I am rich, I have gained wealth for myself": but all his riches can never offset the guilt he has incurred.
9. I am the LORD your God from the land of Egypt; I will again make you dwell in tents, as in the days of the appointed feast.
10. I spoke to the prophets; it was I who multiplied visions, and through the prophets gave parables.
11. If there is iniquity in Gilead they shall surely come to nought; if in Gilgal they sacrifice bulls, their altars also shall be like stone heaps on the furrows of the field.
12. (Jacob fled to the land of Aram, there Israel did service for a wife, and for a wife he herded sheep.)
13. By a prophet the LORD brought Israel up from Egypt, and by a prophet he was preserved.
14. E'phraim has given bitter provocation; so his LORD will leave his bloodguilt upon him, and will turn back upon him his reproaches.