1. [Set] the trumpet to thy mouth. [He shall come] as an eagle against the house of the LORD, because they have transgressed my covenant, and trespassed against my law.
2. Israel shall cry unto me, My God, we know thee.
3. Israel hath cast off [the thing that is] good: the enemy shall pursue him.
4. They have set up kings, but not by me: they have made princes, and I knew [it] not: of their silver and their gold have they made them idols, that they may be cut off.
5. Thy calf, O Samaria, hath cast [thee] off; mine anger is kindled against them: how long [will it be] ere they attain to innocency?
6. For from Israel [was] it also: the workman made it; therefore it [is] not God: but the calf of Samaria shall be broken in pieces.
7. For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind: it hath no stalk: the bud shall yield no meal: if so be it yield, the strangers shall swallow it up.
8. Israel is swallowed up: now shall they be among the Gentiles as a vessel wherein [is] no pleasure.
9. For they are gone up to Assyria, a wild ass alone by himself: Ephraim hath hired lovers.
10. Yea, though they have hired among the nations, now will I gather them, and they shall sorrow a little for the burden of the king of princes.
11. Because Ephraim hath made many altars to sin, altars shall be unto him to sin.
12. I have written to him the great things of my law, [but] they were counted as a strange thing.
13. They sacrifice flesh [for] the sacrifices of mine offerings, and eat [it; but] the LORD accepteth them not; now will he remember their iniquity, and visit their sins: they shall return to Egypt.
14. For Israel hath forgotten his Maker, and buildeth temples; and Judah hath multiplied fenced cities: but I will send a fire upon his cities, and it shall devour the palaces thereof.