1. Bel is crouching, Nebo cowering, their idols are being put on animals, on beasts of burden, the loads you have been carrying are a burden to a weary beast.
2. They are cowering and crouching together, no one can save this burden, they themselves have gone into captivity.
3. Listen to me, House of Jacob, all who remain of the House of Israel, whom I have carried since the womb, whom I have supported since you were conceived.
4. Until your old age I shall be the same, until your hair is grey I shall carry you. As I have done, so I shall support you, I myself shall carry and shall save you.
5. With whom can you compare me, equate me, to whom can you liken me, making equals of us?
6. They lavish gold from their purses and weigh out silver on the scales. They engage a goldsmith to make a god, then bow low and actually adore!
7. They lift it on their shoulders and carry it, and put it down where it is meant to stand, so that it never moves from the spot. You may cry out to it in distress, it never replies, it never saves anyone in trouble.
8. Remember this and stand firm; rebels, look into your hearts.
9. Remember the things that happened long ago, for I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me.
10. From the beginning I revealed the future, in advance, what has not yet occurred. I say: My purpose will come about, I shall do whatever I please;
11. I call a bird of prey from the east, my man predestined, from a distant land. What I have said, I shall do, what I have planned, I shall perform.
12. Listen to me, you hard-hearted people far removed from saving justice:
13. I am bringing my justice nearer, it is not far away, my salvation will not delay. I shall place my salvation in Zion and my glory in Israel.