1. That day Yahweh will punish, with his unyielding sword, massive and strong, Leviathan the fleeing serpent, Leviathan the coiling serpent; he will kill that dragon that lives in the sea.
2. That day, sing of the splendid vineyard!
3. I, Yahweh, am its guardian, from time to time I water it; so that no harm befall it, I guard it night and day.
4. -I do not have a wall. Who can reduce me to brambles and thorn-bushes? -I shall make war and trample on it and at the same time burn it.
5. Or should they beg for my protection, let them make their peace with me, peace let them make with me.
6. In days to come, Jacob will take root, Israel will bud and blossom and the surface of the world be one vast harvest.
7. Has he struck him as he was struck by those who struck him? Has he murdered him as he was murdered by those who murdered him?
8. By expelling, by excluding him, you have executed a sentence, he has blown him away with a breath as rough as the east wind.
9. For that is how Jacob's guilt will be forgiven, such will be the result of renouncing his sin, when all the altar-stones have been smashed to pieces like lumps of chalk, when the sacred poles and incense-altars stand no longer.
10. For the fortified city is abandoned now, deserted, forsaken as a desert where calves browse, where they lie down, destroying its branches.
11. When boughs go dry, they get burnt, women come and use them for firewood. Now, this is a people that does not understand, and so its Maker will not take pity on it, he who formed it will not show it any mercy.
12. When that day comes, Yahweh will start his threshing from the course of the River to the Torrent of Egypt, and you will be gathered one by one, Israelites!
13. When that day comes, the great ram's-horn will be sounded, and those lost in Assyria will come, and those banished to Egypt, and they will worship Yahweh on the holy mountain, in Jerusalem.