1. Yahweh said to Job:
2. Must a faultfinder contend with the Almighty? Let him who would correct God answer.
3. Job said:
4. How can I reply, unworthy as I am! All I can do is put my hand over my mouth.
5. I have spoken once, now I will not answer; oh, yes, twice, but I will do no further. Yahweh's discourse continues
6. Then Yahweh addressed Job out of the storm:
7. Gird up your loins like a man; I will question you, and you must answer.
8. Would you deny my right and condemn me that you may be justified?
9. Have you an arm like that of God, and can you thunder with a voice like this?
10. Then adorn yourself with glory and splendor, array yourself with grandeur and majesty.
11. Unleash the fury of your wrath;
12. look for every proud man and abase him; crush the wicked where they stand.
13. Bury them all in the dust, lock them in the dungeon.
14. If you can do this, I myself will praise you, admittting that your right hand can save you.
15. Just think about Behemoth, who feeds on grass like the ox.
16. What strength he has in his loins, what power in the muscles of his belly!
17. Like a cedar his tail sways, the sinews of his thighs are like cables.
18. His bones like tubes of bronze, his limbs like iron rods.
19. He is first among the works of God, created to dominate his companions.
20. The mountains give him their produce, as do all the wild beasts who play there.
21. Under the lotus trees he lies, hidden among the reeds of the marsh.
22. The lotus trees cover him with their shade; the poplar trees on the bank surround him.
23. He is not alarmed though the river rages and torrents surge against his mouth.
24. Who can capture him by the eyes, or trap him and pierce his nose?
25. Can you pull in Leviathan with a hook, or curb his tongue with a bit?
26. Can you put a ring through his nose or pierce his jaw with a hook?
27. Will he keep begging you for mercy, or speak to you with tender words?
28. Will you make him your slave forever?
29. Will you make a pet of him like a bird, or put him on a leash for your maids?
30. Will traders bargain for him? Will merchants sell him retail?
31. Can you fill his hide with harpoons or his head with fish spears?
32. Just try and lay a hand on him - you will not forget the struggle, and you will never do it again!