1. Bildad the Shuhite replied:
2. When will your empty words end? Listen, and then we can talk.
3. Why do you regard us like beasts? Are we stupid in your sight?
4. You who tear yourself in your wrath, must the earth be lost on your account the rocks be moved out of their place?
5. Surely the evil man's lamp is snuffed out; his fire stops burning.
6. The light dims in his tent; the lamp shining on him goes out.
7. His vigorous steps weaken; his own schemes make him stumble.
8. His feet take him to a net or lead him into a pitfall.
9. A trap seizes him by the heel; a snare lays hold of him.
10. Hidden in the ground is a noose for him; pitfalls await him along the way.
11. Terrors assail him on every side; they harry him at every step.
12. Hungering among his goods, doom awaits him if he falls.
13. Sickness eats his skin; death's firstborn devours his limbs.
14. Torn from the security of his tent, he is marched off to the king of terror.
15. His tent is no longer his: take it! Brimstone is scattered over his field.
16. Dried up below are his roots; withered above are his branches.
17. His memory perishes in the land, his name is forgotten on the earth.
18. From light he is driven into darkness; he is banished from the world.
19. He has no descendants among his people, no survivor where once he lived.
20. All in the west are appalled at his fate; those of the east are seized with fright.
21. Such is the lot of the wicked; such is the place of one who knows not God.