1. Job answered and said:
2. Again today my complaint is rebellious; I groan under his heavy hand.
3. If only I knew where to find him, if only I could go to his dwelling,
4. I would bring my case before him and lay out in full my arguments.
5. I would find out his answer and understand what he would say.
6. Would he need great power to debate with me? No! he needs only to listen!
7. He would know the complainant to be an upright man and I would be free of my judge.
8. But if I go eastward, he is not there; if I go westward, I still cannot see him.
9. Seeking him in the north, I do not find him; looking for him in the south, he is not there.
10. But he knows my every step, and I will come out as gold in his test.
11. I have always walked along his path; I have kept his ways and not turned aside.
12. I have not departed from his commands, instead I have treasured his words.
13. But who can oppose once he has decided? He does what he desires.
14. He will carry out his decree and other plans laid out for me.
15. That is why I am terrified when I think of all this.
16. God has made me lose courage; the Almighty has made me afraid,
17. but I am not silenced by darkness, by the thick gloom that covers my face.